Judging CTSO Competitions Offer Business Benefits
Shape Tomorrow’s Talent Today: Judge CTSO compeitions and build a brighter future!
Judging Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) competitions can offer several valuable business benefits, both directly and indirectly. CTSOs are organizations that provide students with opportunities to develop leadership, teamwork, and technical skills related to specific career fields. Here are some of the business benefits of participating in or supporting CTSO competitions as a judge:
- Talent Identification: Judging CTSO competitions allows businesses to identify and connect with talented students who have a passion for specific industries or fields. This can serve as a talent pipeline for future internships and job placements.
- Recruitment: Many CTSOs host career fairs and events alongside their competitions, giving businesses the chance to recruit top-notch talent directly. This can be especially valuable for industries facing skill shortages.
- Networking: By participating as a judge, business representatives can network with educators, students, and other industry professionals. This can lead to valuable partnerships, collaborations, and insights into the latest trends and innovations in the field.
- Public Relations and Branding: Supporting CTSO competitions and education initiatives can enhance a company’s public image and reputation. It demonstrates a commitment to education, workforce development, and the community.
- Skill Validation: CTSO competitions often focus on practical, real-world skills relevant to specific industries. As a judge, businesses can help validate the skills and knowledge that are essential for success in their field. This can help shape the curriculum and training programs offered by educational institutions.
- Professional Development: Employees who volunteer as judges can gain valuable experience in leadership, coaching, and mentoring. This can improve their own skills in communication, teamwork, and problem-solving.
- Market Research: Observing and assessing student projects and presentations can provide valuable insights into emerging trends, innovative ideas, and the competition landscape within a specific industry. This information can inform a company’s strategic planning and product development.
- Community Engagement: Supporting CTSO competitions demonstrates a commitment to the local community and education system. It can foster goodwill and positive relationships with educators, students, and parents, which can be beneficial for a business’s long-term success.
- Diversity and Inclusion: CTSOs often attract a diverse group of students from various backgrounds. Participating in these competitions and supporting their goals can align with a company’s diversity and inclusion initiatives, promoting a more inclusive workforce.
- Inspiration and Innovation: Witnessing the creativity and innovation of young minds in CTSO competitions can be inspiring. It may spark new ideas within a business and encourage employees to think outside the box.
In summary, judging CTSO competitions can offer a range of business benefits, from talent recruitment and networking opportunities to skill validation and community engagement. It allows businesses to invest in the future workforce while simultaneously enhancing their own brand and reputation within the industry and the broader community.
In Texas, there are several CTSOs that offer high school student competitions that foster and develop skills that prepare students for success in the hotel industry. See the CTSOs listed below:
- Texas Business Professionals of America (BPA)
- Texas DECA
- Texas Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Texas Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Texas ProStart
- Skills USA Texas
Contact Debbie Wieland, Texas Hotel & Lodging Association Education Outreach & Foundation Director at 512-474-2996 for details about judging regional or state level CTSO competitive events in Texas.